Sunday, February 19, 2012

Religious Works from Post-It Exhibit (Fall 2010)

Back in the fall of 2010, I had the honor of putting several of my works on display in the hallways of Duke Divinity.  Not all of them were explicitly religious, but I thought I'd highlight a few that had very clear religious intent:

Madonna with Child.  Now in the collection of Dr. Dave Moffitt.

A portrait of St. Augustine based on a Tiffany window of the famous North African saint and theologian.  Now in the collection of Duke Divinity Admissions.

The Lion.  Some have interpreted this as the Lion of Judah.  Others have suggested that it is Aslan from the Chronicles of Narnia.  I like to leave it open for interpretation.  Now in the collection of Heather Moffitt.




The Old Crusader-- I went through some difficult times during my first year of div school, and this image popped into my head quite a bit during that time.  I see it as a reminder not to try to carry our crosses alone, but rather, to rely on Christian community and the uplifting power of the Holy Spirit in difficult times.


I'm a bit of a Dante nut, so I wanted to depict Dante and Virgil somewhere in the exhibit.  This is the only piece in the exhibit not made entirely from post-its, as the lettering in the upper right was done with pen and ink and bears the famous caption over the gates of Hell: "Abandon hope all ye who enter here."  The piece is now in the collection of Bradley Lisk.

A portrait of Jeff Buckley in a slightly abstract style featuring one of the most famous words he ever sang.  Now in the collection of Sarah Stockton Howell.

The Phoenix.  For more on the significance of this piece, see "The Phoenix Prayer" from the 8,000 Miles blog.  Currently in the collection of Jon and Alyssa Lawrence.

A Trinitarian Reading of Pentecost.  This was one of the larger pieces in the exhibit and features twelve paper-doll apostles with tongues of fire in their halos.

No comments:

Post a Comment