Monday, February 13, 2012

Colored Pencil Work (Fall 2004 - Spring 2005)

During my senior year of high school, I foolishly enrolled in AP Art despite having had only one art class beforehand.  This was a pretty disastrous move since I had almost no training and was being graded by one of the most intense programs in the country.  Needless to say, I failed.  I failed hardcore.  Despite receiving high marks in the class itself, I made a 1 (the lowest possible grade) on my portfolio.  I didn't let it get me down though, and now it's something I laugh about.  My main medium was post-it note mosaics (having developed this the previous summer), but I also did a significant amount of work in Prismacolor colored pencil, and I'll share some of those below:

 I'm not really sure what this piece is supposed to be about, but I guess I was mostly just playing with patterns and color.  I was churning out a drawing a day back in those days, so I've forgotten the significance of many of them.

 This piece is my own interpretation of da Vinci's "Vitruvian Man" (a chart of ideal human proportions).  I decided to work in the theme of DNA.  In retrospect, I could do so much with this on computer or stencil, but those were tools that I didn't know how to use yet.

 Please note that this piece was produced years before the Twilight phenomenon took hold.  I was not familiar with Twilight.  It was not inspired by Twilight.  My goal was just an intense slightly-disproportional face in a cool color scheme.


The Wall of Basses-- this piece took months.  Whenever I needed a break from another project, I would go draw a bass.  Ultimately, there were 20 basses on a piece approximately six feet high.  The bass models are (from top left): Warwick Jazzman, Warwick Buzzard, BC Rich Warlock, Fender P-Bass, Schecter Tempest, Rickenbacker 4003, Rogue VB100, Fender Acoustic, Ibanez SRX400, Ibanez AGB140, Schecter Stiletto Elite, Ibanez GSR200, Gibson Les Paul Bass, MusicMan Stingray, Ibanez Iceman, Warwick Vampyre, Steinberger '88, Modulus Flea Bass, Gibson Thunderbird, Schecter Baron Bass.  As far as I know, this is still in my parents' attic somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment