Monday, February 13, 2012

Gifts for Allison (February 2008)

At one point, in a fit of creative fury, I made three post-it pieces for my then-girlfriend, Allison.  The first was a Hillary Clinton promotional poster made as a decoy instead of her real gift.  That way, she could ask me, "What are you making?"  And I could answer truthfully that it was a post-it Hillary Clinton (even though she assumed that my answer was a lie)!  Her face when I actually presented her with the Clinton poster on the morning of her birthday was pretty priceless.  "I mean, I'm a Hillary supporter, but . . . this?  For my birthday?"  I think this post-it ultimately wound up in the collection of her mother, who was a far more diehard fan of the then-presidential hopeful.


Thankfully, I followed up shortly afterward with my real project for her birthday: a picture of the two of us that had been taken the previous summer, but I had translated it into stencil/post-it and played with the color.  Purple was her favorite color, so I made it the dominant color in the palette with a little bit of light green to compliment the decor in her room.  Also, looking back at this, I looked so young in college!  (And I know what you're thinking, and I agree: I was dating up-- it's a recurring pattern.)

My last post-it of that very artistic and amorous month was in honor of our 18-month anniversary: 18 roses (again with purple being the dominant color).  There are 12 in the bouquet itself (symbolizing the first year), and there were originally six below for the additional six months, but I added two extra roses as two more months went by (even though the tradition of adding more roses for each month fell off with time).  Each rose is slightly different, and each one took a little longer than I'm willing to admit, but hey, it was a labor of love.  Sure, things ultimately didn't work out between the two of us, but we're both still doing well and maintain a friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment