Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Boy Wonder (July 2012)

I'm on a bit of a comicbook kick lately, so it seemed like an appropriate time to capture one of my favorite superheroes using the post-it medium.  Yep, even though I'm a huge Batman fan, Robin has always seemed like the more interesting character to me.

A little backstory: Dick Grayson is an orphan who Batman takes under his wing, and one of the recurring themes throughout comics and cartoons is that Batman is attempting to spare his young protege from the same neglect and bloodlust that have made Batman the vengeful, bitter man that he is today.  Of course, Robin does his fair share of brooding as well, but he's ultimately a fairly lighthearted character, making the contrast to his mentor all the more stark.  In this piece, I tried to capture some of those more Batman-like tendencies (exemplified by the bat signal present in the background and the darkness obscuring Robin's face).

Of course, speaking of Robin's similarities and departures from Batman, it just hit me how much this post-it imitates the style of the old "Batman: The Animated Series" title card.  That was completely unintentional, but I'm glad it turned out that way.  That show had a phenomenal visual style that stirred in elements of comicbooks, art deco, and film noir sensibilities, so I count any similarity to it (no matter how accidental) as a good thing.
[sigh]  I know.  I am such a comic nerd.

In other news, I burned my index finger tonight while fiddling with a candle, so this may limit my post-it work for a bit.  I put aloe on it right after it happen, so maybe that will keep it from blistering up and I'll be able to work again tomorrow.  I'd cross my fingers, but that kind of hurts right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment