Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Current Project (as of June 12th, 2012)

Duck Dunn (1941-2012)
Just a heads up: my current post-it piece (a tribute to legendary Memphis bass player Donald "Duck" Dunn) is taking a little more time than anticipated for multiple reasons.

1) It's a little more complicated than usual and should consist of about eight layers when completed, making it the most geometrically complex image I've created to date (the previous record holder being a four-layer self portrait).  Much of this complexity comes from a new technique I'm toying with: creating a double image by reducing away one image from the background tone and then layering a second image over it.  I realize that explanation may not make much sense without some sort of visual, and that leads me to point #2 . . .

2) I'm photographing the whole process!  I've been saying for years that post-it work is actually pretty straightforward, but since no one has ever agreed to let me teach them the technique, I'm just going to throw it out on the internet and see what folks do with it.  Admittedly, the Duck Dunn piece is probably kind of an intimidating introduction to the medium, so I may attempt this again with a simpler project some other time, but for now, this works.

3) I'm in the midst of a job search right now, and that's meaning a lot of research and a good bit of travel, and all that is definitely slowing me down a bit on the art front.  In fact, I'm trying to push myself a bit on this piece because I'm about to go out of town for a week and a half, and I'd hate to leave an unfinished project for that long.

If all goes according to plan, I should have this project knocked out by the end of the week!

--Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment